Skip to content
The Heart of West Midtown
Home Park Master Plans
Land Use Committee
SPI-8 Zoning Overlay for Parking
Residential Permit Parking Program
Neighborhood Planning Unit-E
Historic Maps & Photos
Techwood Drive along the east side of the Georgia Tech campus in the late 1940s. Photo courtesy of the Georgia State University Library Digital Collection.
Hemphill Avenue at Atlantic Drive - Facing due north at the former intersection of Hemphill Ave and Atlantic Drive in April 1946. Hemphill is the street on the left with street car tracks and Atlantic is on the right. The streets were removed in 1970 when Georgia Tech expanded. The site is currently on the central Georgia Tech campus at the Campanile Fountain located between the Student Center and the Clough Undergraduate Learning Center. Photo courtesy of the Georgia State University Library Digital Collection.
Church on Hemphill Avenue at Clayton Street - The church which stood at the NE corner of the intersection of Hemphill Ave and Clayton Street was photographed in February 1947. This intersection is now part of the Georgia Tech campus. Clayton Street was renamed and became part of Ferst Drive in 1970. Photo courtesy of the Georgia State University Library Digital Collection.
Atlantic Steel Company on Northside Drive at 14th Street and Hemphill Avenue - Facing south on Northside Drive at 14th Street in February 1954. Hemphill Avenue veers to the left. The Atlantic Steel Company building on the left still stands and is now the Institute on Paper Science Technology at Georgia Tech. Photo courtesy of the Georgia State University Library Digital Collection.
14th Street at Techwood Drive - Facing west on the 14th Street bridge at Techwood Drive atop the relatively new Downtown Connector. Circa 1955. Photo courtesy of the Georgia State University Library Digital Collection.
House at 1083 Atlantic Drive - This house still stands at 1083 Atlantic Drive near the intersection of Hunerkopf Street. Photo courtesy of the Georgia State University Library Digital Collection.
Aerial View of Atlantic Steel and Home Park - Circa 1955. This view is facing east towards Midtown. Home Park is in the forested section in the upper right portion of the photo where 16th Street is visible. The newly finished Downtown Connector spans the top of the photo with the 14th Street Bridge in the top right. Atlantic Steel is in the center. Bishop Street is in the lower center of the photo. The Atlantic Steel site had a pond which is in the same spot as the current pond and park at Atlantic Station. Can you imagine what Midtown was like before the Downtown Connector was constructed starting in 1950?
Church at Hemphill Avenue at Ferst Drive - Hemphill Avenue church circa 1965. The side of the house visible in the upper right corner still stands as a fraternity house on Ferst Drive. Both buildings were purchased by Georgia Tech in 1965 and the church become home to DramaTech for many years. The former church site is currently a building for the Georgia Tech Police Department. This building is also shown in the black and white photo from in 1946 on the picture above. Photo courtesy of the Georgia Tech Capital Planning & Space Management Digital Archive
Atop the Physics Building at Georgia Tech - Facing north from the physics building at State Street and Clayton Street (now Ferst Drive) in 1967. State Street is to the left. The new nuclear reactor is in the lower right. The nuclear reactor was removed from this site in 2013. Courtesy of Professor Edward W. Thomas at Georgia Tech.
Wiggins Scale Company on Hemphill Avenue at McMillan Street - Former business located at the current Rocky Mountain Pizza building. Photo was taken in May 1985. Photo courtesy of the Georgia Tech Capital Planning & Space Management Digital Archive
The Cherokee Barber Shop on 10th Street at Hemphill Avenue - Facing southwest at the corner of 10th Street and Hemphill Ave. This photo was taken in April 1982. The Georgia Tech Institute for Paper Science Technology is now on this site. Photo courtesy of the Georgia Tech Capital Planning & Space Management Digital Archive